RIDGEWOOD, N.J. – A surplus of chlorine pumped by a malfunctioning Ridgewood well has given some village residents' drinking water the taste of bleach, authorities said.
The additional chlorine released by the Glen Avenue well on Oct. 4 is not harmful and should be completely gone by Wednesday, Oct. 7, Operator Jose Leon told Daily Voice.
"The plant is already off and fixed but chlorine is still in the systems," Leon said. "My guys are flushing the hydrants which will help more chlorine get out of the system faster."
Village resident Lisa Plasse first noticed the smell this morning while doing dishes.
"The smell of chlorine was nauseating," Plasse said. "When I took a shower I smelled like I just jumped out of my pool.
"Not any amount of body splash or perfume could cover it up."
Check back for updates.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.