More than 7 million companion animals enter animal shelters nationwide every year in the United States, the ASPCA reports.
Several local rescues are giving those animals a better life with the help of fosters and adopters.
Below and above are some animals who need "fur-ever" homes.
- Romeo: Two-year-old lab/pit mix who has been professionally trained and is ready to go home. Romeo is great w other dogs and kids.
- Buster: Seven-year-old Buster's previous "family" did not feel that forever is forever, because when he aged, they brought him back. It broke his heart to be without the only family he ever knew. Buster is up to date on shots. He weighs about 65 pounds and is an extremely lovable, gentle, even tempered boy! He seems to get along with other dogs, cats, and birds. He is crate trained, leash trained, and house trained. He loves a good game of tug of war but is also a great cuddler.
Grateful Doggies: Fair Lawn
- King: 1-year-old King was a roadside puppy in rural Georgia, dumped along with his litter-mates. He was nursed back to health and adopted in Rhode Island only to be turned in to a shelter for no apparent reason. He's a wonderful hound mix that's eager to please and great with people, kids and other dogs.
- Champ: Three-year-old Champ is from Bladen, North Carolina. He is a lost farm dog and is up to date on all of his shots. Champ is great with people and all animals. He likes to run around and cuddle.
Pet ResQ, Inc. : Tenafly
- Brownie: Brownie is a bearded collie who is approximately 8 years old. He can be quirky and does not like quick movements. He gets along with other dogs with a proper introduction. He also lived with a cat with no trouble. He is neutered, housebroken and up to date on his vaccines. He likes to get groomed. Brownie will need an experienced dog owner and fenced in yard.
- Leyla: Leyla is a Shih Tzu who is approximately 3 years old. She likes to play and cuddle is is doing well with her house training.
Bergen County Protect and Rescue: Cliffside Park
- Boy: This two-year-old lab mix was transported to Bergen County Protect & Rescue in December 2015 after being placed on the euthanasia list at a North Carolina Shelter. Boy is currently in foster care and enjoying life outside of a cage. He is great with children and adults, and loves to run and play with squeaky toys. He will grab your hand to get you to rub his tummy. Boy prefers no cats and is scared of loud noises, brooms or anything that seems to be falling. He is up to date on all of his shots.
Southern Paws - Ramsey
- Gretchen: Gretchen is a 2 or 3-year-old Catahoula mix and is sweet as can be. She loves to play with her toys and is a great snuggler. She is heartworm positive but Southern Paws is paying for her treatment and she should be healthy soon. She was a mama who's puppies we placed back in August and she was going to get euthanized on Monday so we saved her. She is a very happy little girl and does well with dogs cats and kids. She is a little bit scared of crawling toddlers though and doesn't know what to make of them.
- Ty: Sweet, little Ty is an 8-week-old male husky German Shepherd mix. He gets along with everyone and everything and is very energetic and playful. He loves to snuggle and is crate trained. He is learning his basic commands and is good with all kids dogs and cats.
A Pathway To Hope - North Haledon
- Hope: Hope and her sister Kiwi were rescued and are now in need of a new home. Hope is about 3 years old and a lab/shepherd mix. She is a playful girl and good with other dogs. She will fit right in to just about any family.
- Kiwi: Hope's sister Kiwi is about 3 years old and a catahoula shepherd mix. She is good with other dogs and loves attention and affection. Kiwi gets along with just about everyone and is a laid back girl. She loves to spend time with her sister and check things out in the play yard at doggie daycare. She's playful, but really prefers to sit back and watch the action happen.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.