YOU READ IT HERE FIRST: A quick-moving Ridgewood volunteer firefighter prevented flames from spreading this morning after he spotted smoke coming from a garage and snuffed the blaze with a garden hose.
The culprit: a disposed cigarette butt.
Jeffrey Creegan was driving down Grove Street when he spotted smoke coming from the detached, single-car garage located at the corner of Eastside Avenue.
Stopping his pickup, Creegan (above, left) called in the fire, ran into a nearby yard, grabbed the hose and went to work.
A contingent of firefighters, led by Chief James Van Goor, arrived moments later. They ventilated the structure with high-velocity fans and used thermal imaging devices to make sure the flames hadn’t spread.
STORY / PHOTOS: Boyd A. Loving
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.