ONLY ON CVP: Ridgewood firefighters and police responded to a 911 call of a chemical odor from a residential garage and identified the source as a container filled with aging chlorine tablets, which were starting to sublime.
Members of the Bergen County Department of Health and Human Services Hazardous Materials Division who were summoned to the South Pleasant Avenue home determined that the safest method of disposal was to release the contents into the sanitary sewer system, followed by a significant flush of fresh water.
A portion of South Pleasant Avenue was closed to traffic, a manhole was opened and the chemicals were flushed.
No injuries were reported.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.