RIDGEWOOD, N.J.– Brandon Shim planned to begin training four new employees Monday to help with the busy summer season at his Ridgewood ice cream shop, but those plans were scrapped after a fire gutted the pizzeria next door the day before.
It could take weeks before his business reopens, said Shim, who lost most of his inventory after the power went out.
"The cake looks like a thin slice of pizza now," he said.
Meanwhile, Lisa McCrea estimated smoke damage to her salon at $20,000.
"Clients had to go home [yesterday] with color and bleach in their hair," said McCrea, whose Lisa Thomas Salon didn't have Internet or phone service this morning
Work was being completed inside nearby M&T Bank, as fans cleared smoke from Tabboule, a Lebanese restaurant which was closed for the day.
Rajib Kumar was one of the lucky ones. It was "business as usual" at his Ridgewood Hot Bagels after the electric fans did their jobs.
An electrical short ignited the blaze at neighboring La Bella Pizza , authorities said.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.