BERGEN COUNTY, N.J. -- Here's a look at last week's top stories from around Bergen County.
- An Indian national busted by a Leonia detective in a $170,000 IRS phone scam that claimed 70 victims in 32 states was sentenced Friday to time served in exchange for a guilty plea and a promise to cooperate with prosecutors.
- A broken collarbone derailed the plans Charlie Chalkin of Leonia had, but it ended up being a blessing disguise that pointed him toward his passion and a new business.
- A trio of Mahwah police officers thought they'd evacuated all of the residents from a raging Mahwah condominium fire Tuesday afternoon when they spotted a 9-year-old girl on a third-floor balcony.
- Fair Lawn mom Yanneris "Yani" Genao’s triple-decker, balancing jungle cake looks almost too good to eat. But the Dominican Republic native insists her creations are made to be eaten, which is why she’s opening Yani’s Bake House on River Road at the end of February.
- A wheelchair-bound man, his husband and their pet python were struck by a car while crossing a Bergenfield street Wednesday night, authorities confirmed.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.