More than 7 million companion animals enter animal shelters nationwide every year in the United States, the ASPCA reports.
Several local rescues are giving those animals a better life with the help of fosters and adopters.
Below and above are some animals who need "fur-ever" homes.
Email Cecilia Levine to post an adoptable dog or cat.
- Mandy was rescued from a high-kill shelter in North Carolina and taken to Bergen County Protect & Rescue in February. She is a Stafford Terrier Mix approximately 2 years old, house trained and up to date on all her shots. Mandy is great with children, playful and walks well on a leash. She loves her walks and looks forward to spending quality time with you. Mandy would prefer to be the only pet and can use some socialization outside of the shelter environment which would greatly benefit her.
- Willow is a ravishing young lady who was found as a stray from Fairview. She brought to Bergen County Protect & Rescue by Humane Enforcement in January. She is approximately 2 years old and has a small dainty face with large, round and alluring eyes. Willow is a silver/black and gray Tabby with stripes who will just warm your heart and soul.
- Jaime is 5 years old and 61 pounds. His owner surrendered him because he suffered an injury and fell into a 4-foot hole while on a walk with a friend. When he fell, injuries were sustained to his hind quarters, which then collapsed on him. Using the bathroom is very difficult and he cannot use his back legs. This special boy needs a loving home.
- Gentle King was found tethered to a tree outside, laying on the ground shaking and twitching in the rain, emaciated. He is making great progress with his foster family and is good with children and other dogs. He's a boxer-pit mix and is believed to be approximately 14 months old.
- Hugo is a precious young lab mix, about 11 months old. He has lots of energy and loves to play fetch and run in the yard! He needs some consistent training and will be a wonderful companion. He loves people and would be a great running/hiking companion.
- Penelope is a super sweet 6 month old lab/shepherd mix who will melt your heart with her sweet demeanor. She loves kids, dogs and is super with cats. She is a perfect family dog.
- Island is as pretty as they come! She is a gentle, calm and sweet 2 year old pit mix who is great with kids and an easy girl to get along with. She is good with most other dogs and walks perfectly on a leash.
- Tipper is a Shepherd mix who is approximately 4 months old. She is very sweet and gets along with everyone. Tipper is up to date on her age appropriate vaccinations.
- Zoe is a 3-year-old Terrier Mix and very sweet. She loves everyone she meets and knows how to walk on her hind legs and spin. Zoe loves other dogs and all people. She is up to date on her vaccines and is house trained.
- Sasha: This sweet, 6-month-old husky mix loves dogs of all shapes and sizes but is very high energy — and her playmates tire of her quickly. She needs a home with a dog who is incredibly high energy who she can run with. Sasha loves playing ball outside and would make a great agility partner or running buddy.
- Kate: This 38-pound hound mix, affectionately referred to a “Katie," is a sweet and affectionate, playful girl. She was brought to Peace4Paws almost a year ago and is in desperate need of a home. Katie has the mannerisms of a dedicated watch dog “securing the perimeter” of the house upon awakening and when she is satisfied all is well. She responds to “sit”, “treat” and “no” so, she undoubtedly has lived in a family environment at one time. She plays well with the other family dogs/fosters and they in turn took an immediate liking to her, thus welcoming her into their “Pac”.
- Oreo: Oreo is as sweet as his name and he is very smart! Oreo is a young adult, male Austrailan Shepherd/Blue Heeler/Blue Catahoula mix at a sleek 44 pounds. He wants to sit in your lap, cuddle close, and do all his tricks for you and your family. He loves to immerse himself in toys and spin them around for you! He is a confidant boy that is not afraid of men or babies crying like some timid dogs.
- Nina is a pint-sized husky who is about 8 months old. She gets along well with other dogs and loves to play. Nina is a curious and mischievous puppy and will need an owner committed to training. She knows the "sit" command and is working on her other basic commands.
- Clark Kent: This snuggly 1-year-old will need a home in 2 weeks. He rides well in the car, loves being with people, is very playful and would love a running or hiking partner. He is neutered, up to date on all his vaccinations and is sort of famous, being Clark Kent and all.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.