More than 7 million companion animals enter animal shelters nationwide every year in the United States, the ASPCA reports.
Several local rescues are giving those animals a better life with the help of fosters and adopters.
Below and above are some animals who need "fur-ever" homes.
Email Cecilia Levine to post an adoptable dog or cat.
- Clifford came to Bergen County Protect & Rescue from West New York in September. Approximately three years old now, he is a very handsome red nosed Stafford Terrier who is one lovable energetic young male. Clifford loves people, giving kisses, long walks, his toys and loves to run. He gets along well with children and with other dogs, which makes him great family dog.
- Jemma is pit-bull mix approximately three years old. She exemplifies all the qualities that pit-bull lovers admire and even more Going for walks is something she looks forward to in addition to simple attention, which she will give you a kiss in return to show her gratitude. Jemma unfortunately does not like very young children and puppies.
- Grace: This 10-month-old lab/setter mix is a beautiful, young girl who gets along great with kids and all dogs. She is very playful but also has manners. She would be a wonderful family dog.
- Echo is a 1-year-old lab mix. She is absolutely gorgeous and loves to go for long walks. She is an ideal hiking partner and loves people and some dogs. She is best with kids over 8 years old as she is a young, playful dog.
- Bonnie is a 6-year-old terrier mix who is as cute as she is obedient. She loves kids and all dogs and walks perfectly on a leash. She also knows some fun tricks!
- Sasha: This sweet, 6-month-old husky mix loves dogs of all shapes and sizes but is very high energy — and her playmates tire of her quickly. She needs a home with a dog who is incredibly high energy who she can run with. Sasha loves playing ball outside and would make a great agility partner or running buddy.
- Kate: This 38-pound hound mix, affectionately referred to a “Katie," is a sweet and affectionate, playful girl. She was brought to Peace4Paws almost a year ago and is in desperate need of a home. Katie has the mannerisms of a dedicated watch dog “securing the perimeter” of the house upon awakening and when she is satisfied all is well. She responds to “sit”, “treat” and “no” so, she undoubtedly has lived in a family environment at one time. She plays well with the other family dogs/fosters and they in turn took an immediate liking to her, thus welcoming her into their “Pac”.
- Oreo: Oreo is as sweet as his name and he is very smart! Oreo is a young adult, male Austrailan Shepherd/Blue Heeler/Blue Catahoula mix at a sleek 44 pounds. He wants to sit in your lap, cuddle close, and do all his tricks for you and your family. He loves to immerse himself in toys and spin them around for you! He is a confidant boy that is not afraid of men or babies crying like some timid dogs.
- Cookie is a 10 month cat old who has already experienced motherhood. This sweet girl was rescued from outside the Brownstone in Paterson, where she was raised and had given birth to 2 tiny babies in freezing temps. Cookie would do well in a home with children or other cats — or adults only that give her lots of attention. She seems very afraid of dogs.
- Buster is a 5-year-old Pitbull mix. He is very gentle and friendly. He is good with people (including small children), dogs and cats. He is up-to-date on all of his vaccinations and is microchipped. He is house-trained and knows various commands, i.e. sit, stay, leave it and is learning "roll over"). Buster loves to play and is looking for a loving home.
- Elle is about one year old. She and her sister Bailey were rescued from a rural shelter in Georgia. She loves the water and running and playing with other dogs. Elle is very friendly and is working on her manners. She loves to follow her foster mom around the house.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.