More than 7 million companion animals enter animal shelters nationwide every year in the United States, the ASPCA reports.
Several local rescues are giving those animals a better life with the help of fosters and adopters.
Below and above are some animals who need "fur-ever" homes.
Email Cecilia Levine to post an adoptable dog or cat.
- Frenchie: This 3-year-old Red Nosed Pocket Pit Mix, Frenchie was being taken of originally by a thoughtful caring person in Teaneck. Unfortunately, Frenchie and her daughter Cookie, who was recently adopted, kept escaping and ending up at Bergen County Protect & Rescue. Finally, in September 2015, Bergen County Protect & Rescue took the dogs permanently until a loving home can be found. Frenchie is sweet, cuddly and loves children — but does not like cats. Lately Frenchie has been very sad and looking for her daughter. She needs lots of love and attention. This beauty queen will make a great family addition to any household if given a second chance in life.
- Coal: Adorable 10 month old male Sharpe/Pit Mix named Coal was found roaming the streets of West New York. Coal is very friendly, affectionate, loves his walks and to play, however he does not like small dogs and volunteers feel he will not be good with very small children. Coal will need some basic puppy training. Coal is up to date on all routing shots and is neutered.
- Danner: Seven years old and 112 pounds! Danner is a Boerbel Mastiff mix and is with fantastic with other dogs as well as children of any age. All he wants to do is be a good boy and make you happy by being obedient gentle loving and sweet. Everyone he meets say he's perfection!
- King: King is a 1 year old hound mix. He is sweet and obedient and loves to play fetch. He is good with most other dogs and plays well with children. He is about 55 pounds. Pictures do this boy no justice, he is absolutely stunning!
- Sasha: This sweet, 6-month-old husky mix loves dogs of all shapes and sizes but is very high energy — and her playmates tire of her quickly. She needs a home with a dog who is incredibly high energy who she can run with. Sasha loves playing ball outside and would make a great agility partner or running buddy.
- Jax: Twelve-week-old male lab Catahoula mix Jax is super friendly and very playful. He is 100% puppy and needs a home that can keep up with his high energy.
- Raggs: Six pounds. Three years old. So, so sweet. Raggs is a Yokie/Shih Tzu mix. He can't be around small children only because of how tiny he is.
- Kate: This 38-pound hound mix, affectionately referred to a “Katie," is a sweet and affectionate, playful girl. Katie has the mannerisms of a dedicated watch dog “securing the perimeter” of the house upon awakening and when she is satisfied all is well, she returns to the bedroom with Mindy until they begin their day together.” She responds to “sit”, “treat” and “no” so, she undoubtedly has lived in a family environment at one time. She plays well with the other family dogs/fosters and they in turn took an immediate liking to her, thus welcoming her into their “Pac”.
- Oreo: Oreo is as sweet as his name and he is very smart! Oreo is a young adult, male Austrailan Shepherd/Blue Heeler/Blue Catahoula mix at a sleek 44 pounds. He wants to sit in your lap, cuddle close, and do all his tricks for you and your family. He loves to immerse himself in toys and spin them around for you! He is a confidant boy that is not afraid of men or babies crying like some timid dogs.
- Ari: Ari is a 5 week old kitten — cute, round and fuzzy. She is super playful and seemingly fearless, but she comes running back to you for comfort when she gets nervous. She loves playing with her mom and brother, and when she wants attention she meows to you. Ari loves to cuddle. She lives in a home with children and other cats (and dogs, but he is too small to be with them yet) and is well adjusted and friendly. Ari will be available for adoption after April 15.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.