More than 7 million companion animals enter animal shelters nationwide every year in the United States, the ASPCA reports.
Several local rescues are giving those animals a better life with the help of fosters and adopters.
Below and above are some animals who need "fur-ever" homes.
- Ophelia: This Pit Bull Terrier, 4, was rescued after being used multiple times for breeding. She had a severe infection and needed immediate surgery. Ophelia is all healed up now and looking for a foster or forever home. She does well with some dogs but would also be great as only only pup soaking up all the love.
- Clark Kent: This snuggly 1-year-old will need a home in 2 weeks. He rides well in the car, loves being with people, is very playful and would love a running or hiking partner. He is neutered, up to date on all his vaccinations and is sort of famous, being Clark Kent and all.
- Simba: Somebody dumped this male, pit bull mix in an over-crowded North Jersey pound. He is good with other dogs and very friendly. We would love to see him rescued. He needs some loving ASAP.
- Faith: In 2 months, this 2-week-old pit bull puppy that was rescued Wednesday from a fighting ring in NYC will need a family.
- Sasha: This sweet, 6-month-old husky mix loves dogs of all shapes and sizes but is very high energy — and her playmates tire of her quickly. She needs a home with a dog who is incredibly high energy who she can run with. Sasha loves playing ball outside and would make a great agility partner or running buddy.
- Sheila: This 1.5year-old hound mix loves everyone including kids of all ages. She plays great with other dogs and not only wags her tail, but her entire 30-pound body.
- Erin: Two-year-old Erin exemplifies everything good about the pit breed. She's gentle, calm and loves all people including kids. She walks beautifully on a leash and plays well with other dogs. She is stunning and a favorite among all of the volunteers.
- Sisters Grace and Sienna: These 10-month-old catahoula/setter mix sisters — at best guess — couldn't be sweeter. Grace is a little more outgoing while Sienna is a little more timid. But both end up with their head in your lap after a play session. The girls are almost full grown at 30 pounds but are still a little skinny.
- Jones: This beautiful, calm boy is a 3 year old rottie-mix who is also great with all dogs and people. He adores children and is pretty sure he's a lap dog.
- Bandit: Bandit is a 2 year old lab/pit mix who steals the hearts of everyone he meets. He's not only super friendly, he's smart and loves affection. He plays well with other dogs and especially loves kids. He's easy to handle and would be a wonderful family dog.
Juan: Little Juan was brought to Bergen County Protect & Rescue from Teaneck where he was found as a stray last October. This feisty little male Chihuahua volunteers feel he is approximately 3 to 4 years old and in need of a loving home of his own.
Juan walks well on a leash, does not want to walk far from the shelter as in fear of being left on his own again and seems to prefer to be in his cage where he feels safe and well cared for.
Juan would prefer to be the only dog, be best in a single quiet home where he will feel he is loved and well cared for.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.